Monday, January 24, 2011

Eeny Meeny Miny Mo - what can stay and what must go.....

Last night as I was making a list of all the things I need to get done this week, I had another one of those revelations that I mentioned in my post, Blame it on Mama.  I looked at the list and asked myself, " Really, Glenda - how much of this stuff will you actually do?"  "Uhhh...maybe half of it....?" I answered.  For years on Sunday evenings, I have faithfully made a little list - sometimes a mental list, but most times on paper - of appointments, house tasks, meetings, errands and other stuff that are important to me at the time.  The next Sunday evening about half the stuff I had planned for the prior week goes right back on my list again. 

This list making was pretty necessary when I had a full-time job.  I have a calendar, but the calendar gets a little crowded when you schedule the mundane things like - clean toilets - Wednesday - 8:14 a.m.  The calendar is saved for things like: Gen - Bus Stop -Monday and Tuesday, 2:15 p.m.; Church supper - Sunday, 6:00 p.m.;  VW Woman's Club - Thursday, 7:00 p.m.; Kids & grandkids over - Saturday, 5:00 p.m.; and TV.. American Pickers - Monday, 9:00 p.m. (can't miss that show).  Now back to the list -  finish chapter 4 in my book looks more like finish Chapter 4 in my book at the end of the week. Same with clean out hallway closet, organize shelves in office, find ways to make more money, and the list goes on.

So, I'm finding the time to do the necessary things and ignoring the others?  What does this mean?   I have always been busy, busy, busy - even if I am just spinning my wheels which I often do.  For the first time in my life, I think I am finally realizing that rarely does a person accomplish everything he sets out to do in life and I'm accepting that I may not finish my book until I'm 75, I may never clean out my attic (who's going to know anyway).  Does this mean that I'm totally giving up on those things?  No, it just means that from now on I'll be setting more realistic goals.  I'll continue doing the important things as highlighted above.  Maybe I'll stop stressing when I have to mark things off my list.  Heck, I may not even make a list anymore.  Ahhh....maybe this means that I'm finally realizing the meaning of retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!