Monday, December 26, 2011

A Santa tablescape - Saying goodbye 'til next year

Packing up my Christmas china, I decided to take a few photo's before it went back into the china cabinet for it's eleven month hibernation. I had always wanted Christmas china, but while my children were growing up, I always found a better use for the money than splurging on things that weren't necessities.  In 1993 my youngest daughter was working at Waccamaw Pottery (a Southern homegoods store at the time) for the Christmas season in her senior year of high school.  She surprised me on that Christmas morning with a set of Christmas china - she bought a service for 4 and talked her dad into buying another to complete a service for 8.  She had bought it at the last minute on clearance plus got her employee discount.  And it was my favorite theme - Santa Claus!  It fit right in with my collection of Santas that I had received as gifts over the years.  I still get excited when I open up my buffet each December and start digging around for the Christmas china.  I'm sharing because I think you'll love it too!



A simple holly design on the saucer

A winter snow scene on the salad plate

And the most exciting part of all!  Santa peeking out from behind the tree on the dinner plate.

See!  The winter snow scene that's on the salad plate is from the window behind Santa, and there's the holly at the bottom.

The "holly" goblets you see in the background were made by Libby Glass in the 1980's for Arby's as a giveaway with a combo meal.  I picked these up at a flea market this fall for $10 for 10 glasses. I am a flea market fiend!  Check out some of my Saturday Morning treasure blogs mingled in with my others to see some of my fantastic finds.

My Fitz & Floyd S & P's and some little F & F snowmen decorating the tree in the background.



Another Fitz & Floyd Santa with a carload of gifts.


And Merry Christmas to all as he rode out of sight.
Back they go into the bottom of the buffet until next year where they'll evoke the excitement of Christmas all over again.  Do you have some favorite pieces that you pull out during the holidays that make you smile? 

See other beautiful tablescapes with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.

8 comments:

  1. Just doesn't seem like all that stuff stayed out long enough, does it?

    Maybe next year I'll be more festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda...these are just beautiful!! This is the very first year I never had time to get our Christmas dishes out because of the busyness of my business! You're making me miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful Christmas table you had, my friend, and I love all that Christmas china. How lovely it all looks. I really love the winter scene on the salad plate, and very clever how that is carried on through the window of the santa plates. It seems such a pity that it only gets taken out for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty china! I haven't seen that pattern, but I can see why you love bringing it out each year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful dishes you have here. Advance Happy New Year!

    Tablescape Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a festive table...love the china, especially the dinner plates.

    Happy New Year, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've set such an adorable table and what a great story of your gift of the dishes (I hate putting mine away too!!). I love Waccamaw...we had one when I lived in Chicago. They had such great stuff!

    A Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a load of beautiful china and Christmas things. Very festive.
    Happy New Year.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!