Thursday, December 30, 2010

O Tannenbaum

For the first time ever, I’m taking my Christmas tree down early this year.  Every year I delay it as long as I can – usually waiting until at least January 6th – the 12th day of Christmas.  Most of the time it’s just plain laziness, but it's also that I just want to hold on to it a little longer.  Each night before I unplug the lights, I take a moment to gaze upon the tree and the special ornaments that hold so many memories.  I start reflecting on Christmases past - I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart that just doesn’t come any other time of the year.  I have found myself thinking, “This is the true Christmas spirit, these warm memories conjured up from the past”.  Tonight as I was unplugging the tree I was reminded that I can have that special feeling anytime.  My happiness does not spring forth from that Christmas tree.  I can find that warm fuzzy feeling in the eyes of a child, in the arms of a loved one, and especially in the word of God.

I’m not saying that those memories aren’t important - they are part of who we are – where we have been.  Each year I will continue to put up my tree and it will continue to bring joy to my heart.  I’m just saying that Christmas should be in our hearts all year long with Christ as the anchor.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!